Sunday, November 22, 2009

Weekly Highlights: Week 19

Bible: "Moses is Born"- Ezra started writing 1 sentence summary this week.

Reading & Writing:


Math: Fractions

Science: Stars & Planets


Solar System- (Pluto is no longer a planet! In 2006, Pluto was demoted as a "dwarf planet".) This week, we discussed the size of each planet. Next week, we'll discuss the distance (from the sun) of each planet & re-place them according to their distance.

The long paper below the planets represent the width of the sun. (Our sun fits about 100 Earths across!)

Activities: "Measuring 300 cubits = length of Noah's Ark" (Catch up work from previous unit.) In Bible times, 1 cubit represented the length of a man's arm- from the tip of middle finger to elbow. Approximately 18 inches, which happens to be exact length of my husband's arm. We cheated a bit. Instead of counting each 300 cubits, we used the long stick, which measured 4 cubits. We counted 75 (4 cubit unit X 75 =300 cubits). It was a really cold day, so my husband appreciated the quicker conversion.
Ezra standing at the end of Noah's Ark. Ephraim in the background walking to the starting point of the Ark.

Kind of hard to see- way far back, in front of the red/ white fence, stands Ephraim with his hands up- indicating the starting point of Noah's Ark. You get a good idea of how big the Ark was! (We wanted to add the width, but our street wasn't wide enough.)
Arts & Craft: Beads- We love this quiet, creative activity. You place the beads in a pattern, then you iron them to melt in one big piece of art. Very fun for the kiddos..... well, except when something totally unexpected happens! Keep reading below.
So, my dear sweet Erzsebet decided (still don't know why she did it) to stick one of the beads up her nose! Let me tell you- that was a first for us. Our oldest or our youngest never did anything like this before. She started to panic & cry realizing that the bead was stuck. We tried getting her to blow her nose real hard a bunch of times. She was crying, her older brother was crying- he thought she was going to die. Ephraim got a flashlight & looked up her nose. Sure enough, it was stuck way up & he could see the tiny yellow object. He works with computers, so he had this pincher tool with very skinny ends.... & got it out! I have no idea what else we would have done. I have no training on what to do when your child sticks something up his/ her nose.... other than to call my doctor in the middle of the night. I was feeling quite stumped & nervous. Then when the bead came out, I couldn't help but laugh hysterically at the whole scenario! My daughter laughed too. She was so relieved- gave her daddy a dozen kisses, hugs, & went back to playing with beads while singing Christmas carols. She did learn her lesson though. So, the moral of the story is- don't let your 4 year old (or younger) play with beads without reminding them where NOT to put them! :)
If you're a parent of young children, you must own one of these tools! You never know when you're going to need it! :) It saved us a trip to the doctor's & for that, I'm very thankful! :)

Final thought: The "Operation" game is on sale at Target this week. I think this will be a great gift - as a nice reminder- for my family!

2 comments:

Lainie said...

Let's see... for Abigail it was a piece of corn. I was able to get that out with tweezers.

For Charlotte, an unpopped popcorn kernel that was really stuck up there.
To get that out (even the doctor was stumped and was wanting to send us to an EMT)he was willing to try my idea... we filled a bulb syringe with saline and squeezed (very forcibly) the water into the unblocked nostril. The water pushed the kernel out of the other nostril into the waiting pan the nurse was holding.

Motherhood-- it's always an adventure.

I'm glad she was fine and I'm confident she won't have any repeat performances any time soon (if ever). :)

Jen said...

I really enjoyed reading your post. I have been reading different posts that are using the MFW curriculum as we are thinking of purchasing it for my son. This is one of the posts that lets me know that I am on the right track. Thank you for sharing this.

I am so glad your little one is OK and you didn't need to make a trip to the ER. It must have been very scary for your family, but it will be a memory you will be laughing at for many years.

Lainie is right....Motherhood is a never ending adventure. lol

Blessings,
JEN